Sunday, December 29, 2013

World Map App Update

World Map App continues to gain users, and the cost of maintaining the app is fully covered by revenue generated by the advertisements. I plan to fix a few bugs and improve the app soon, but I have not had time recently to work on the app. As far as I know, World Map App is the only map in Russian that offers maps with Russian labels. I believe this is the main reason for its popularity.

About 2600 people have app installed. The app has experienced steady growth since release of version 6. Version 6 was exactly the same as version 5 except that the app would automatically download all the maps in the user's language. The whole idea in version 5 was to allow users to pick and choose which maps they wanted rather than forcing them to store unused maps on their phone. However, as soon as I release version 5, the number installations suddenly slowed down dramatically. I believe this was because users did not want to spend the time to download new maps, or users couldn't not figure out how to download new maps. To combat this, when the app is run for the first time it automatically downloads all maps that are in the user's language.


Russian speakers continue to be about 70% of the users.


Not surprising, the top three countries where World Map App is installed are Russian speaking countries


I've included advertisements in the app to help cover server costs to host the SQL database and generic storage containers for the images. Originally, I was hoping to make a significant income with the World Map App, but it is very difficult to make much money on advertisements developing apps for Android that are free.
I've shown about 36000 advertisements, and users have clicked on ads about 550 times. I've generated about $30 on advertisement clicks.  The image below shows the earnings on a daily basis starting in August 2013.

I average about 300 advertisement impressions per day, and I average about 4 clicks per day.

My server costs include both the SQL db on Windows Azure and the image storage on Google Blob Storage. Azure costs (not including December) are shown in the image below. As of the moment I'm writing this,  December 2013 is estimated to cost $3.79.

My Google storage costs for Map App have been about $4.84.

Based on the cost and expense, I've made $2.09. Not much, but at least I'm not losing money, and the experiencing of developing an app has been invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment