Thursday, August 1, 2013

World Map App



https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stackingblockstopreventoverflow.blogspot.worldmapapp

My newest attempt at supporting myself, my wife, and my little baby on the way is to use my computer programming skills to write Android apps and use the Adsense network along with paid apps to generate money. My strong history in C# programming allows me to switch over to Java without to much trouble. After working on learning the Android API and other Android issues for about a week, I published my first app today on Google Play, World Map App.

The inspiration for app came while Shari and I were in China. We were at a restaurant eating our food and trying to carry on a conversation with the owner using Google translate on my phone. Like any good conversation we wanted to the owner where we were from, but we wanted to tell him in more detail than just saying "I'm an American" (我是美国人, Wǒ shì měiguó rén). Of course the easiest way to show someone where you live is Google Maps and just point at where you live! As I zoomed out I suddenly ran into a problem; Google Maps only caches the maps for the country you are in so if I wanted to show him the United States than it would need to download new map data over the mobile network. Unfortunately my phone's mobile network at that location was pretty slow (actually really really slow), so as I zoomed out on Google Maps almost everything outside of China was blank and it wasn't going to show up any time soon. So Google Maps was not a good way to show someone where we live, and hence the need for a simple offline world map app arose. Another consideration for the app is that it is really simple, and allows me to get my feet wet with programming for Android. 

Key Features:
- offline world maps
- simple

Ideas for Future versions of the App
- More maps
- Higher Resolution maps (probably make a paid version for these because HD maps cost me money)
- Work on the zoom in feature to actually show it in more detail
- Possibly use AdSense 
- Add Translations


No comments:

Post a Comment